Mufti Zubair Bayat
The problem faced by some, in fact most Muslim Schools today, is the absence of a true Islamic atmosphere and spirit at these schools. As a result of this, pupils, the end-products of these schools, seem to lack the true and lasting Islamic values and the dynamism of a Mu'min when they leave the portals of the schools after spending almost 12 years of their lives there!
If Muslims schools are unable to prepare their students in the mould that is shaped by Allah, then they have 'failed' their students, even though they may produce a hundred percent pass rate! The first purpose of Muslim Schools must be to produce good Muslims and dynamic leaders for the Islamic society.
(Secular education without correct Islamic orientation and education, especially in a kufr educational institution is destructive to Imaan and Deen in the extreme. Generally the people that go through this system cannot escape the effects of this system. It is for this reason that our senior Ulama have always condemned this system of education, past andpresent. This is the ruling of two senior Ulama about this secular education)
For a successful existence on earth, all human beings are in dire need of guidance for every action and movement of their lives. A brief study of all the "isms" and religions of the world will reveal that Islam is the only system of life that has provided guidance for even the very basic and mundane actions of man's life on earth; guidance that other systems and religions have not even given the slightest thought.
Education is a triangle. The triangle cannot be completed unless it has three sides or three corners. The three corner's of education are the teacher, the pupil and the parent. Take any one of these three away and education remains incomplete. Therefore, dear parents, do not underrate the important role you play in the education of your child. You are an important partner in the education of your child!
HOW MUSLIM SCHOOLS CAN BECOME DYNAMIC INSTITUTIONS
by Mufti Z.Bayat
MUSLIM SCHOOLS ARE HERE TO STAY AND SERVE
"A strong, powerful Mu'min is better and more beloved to Allah than a weak Mu'min" - Hadith. This Hadith encapsulates the ideal goal and vision of a Muslim School in a nutshell. The scope of this Hadith is a very comprehensive one. A strong Mu'min is one who is strong in every sense; physically, morally, spiritually, intellectually and even financially, to meet the challenges facing Islam. The Muslim School's vision should be to develop a group of Mu'mineen (and Mu'minaat), who are strong in every way. In short, to strive towards developing a strong and dynamic Ummah!
THE WOMEN OF THE WORLD EXPOSE THEIR BODIES MORE AND MORE WHILE MUSLIM WOMEN COVER THEMSELVES. WHY?
Immorality - the fashion in today's world
Western civilisation scoffs at the very mention of words such as morality, decency and modesty. These are regarded as old-fashioned and incongruous with today's culture of liberalism and unfettered freedom. Immodesty, immorality, shamelessness and fornication are regarded as progressive and fashionable. Yet this has been the very cause of the destruction of the stable family unit. Too many a happy home have broken due to infidelity, leaving in their trail misery, heartache and an unstable society. Fornication also leads to illegitimate and unwanted children who become a massive problem unto society due to lack of proper parental supervision. Immorality is truly a curse on mankind and society.
US and Western world reeling under impact of immorality
The country that prides itself in being the superpower of today's world and the leader of present day civilisation, the United States of America is reeling under the impact of immorality. Just a few months ago, Clinton had convened a big conference of leaders from all over the country to handle the problem of 15 million at-risk youth in the US. Today every other child in the US. is born out of wedlock. Thirty-eight percent of children now live without a biological father; 6.6 million children live with divorced single parents, mostly mothers whose ex-husbands tend to fade away from their children. This is family life in USA. "Something is wrong with the entire American family," writes Martin Marty, professor at the University of Chicago in the Los Angles Times. "One has the weird sense that America is a country with many children but without adults." This gruesome picture is the direct result of the absence of morality, decency and modesty in the US and in fact most of the Western world.
Islam guarantees morality of mankind
The one and only way of reversing this rot and restoring dignity to mankind is to return to the path of morality and modesty. It is for this very reason that Islam has placed such tremendous emphasis on the issue of modesty. Among other lofty teachings, Islam strongly promotes the concept of morality. Purity in morals is regarded as a cornerstone of a stable and healthy family and society. Anything that threatens to destroy the moral fibre of society and the family life is regarded as seriously offensive in Islam. For example, fornication, whether it be premarital or extramarital, is an act that undermines a stable family life. No wife likes her husband cheating on her or vice-versa. Therefore, Islam has declared adultery as strictly forbidden. Adultery is regarded as a very serious offence; the fornicator has been strongly condemned. In an Islamic state, it carries the maximum punishment available under the law.
Not only has Islam condemned adultery. Anything that is deemed to stir the passions or that may ultimately lead towards temptation and the sin of adultery has also been condemned and declared unlawful in Islam. In this way, the door to evil and vice has been effectively closed. It is a case of removing the hay far away from the bonfire rather than trying to control the bonfire and hoping wishfully that the hay would somehow not burn. This analogy sums up the Islamic philosophy and outlook on morality as compared to that of the West. Some of the other measures adopted by Islam to protect and promote morality is the prohibition of lustful gazes from either male or female towards each other.
Islamic garb accords women dignity and preserves morality
Another measure is the emphasis on covering parts of the body that evoke lustful feelings and emotions. This is encompassed in Islam's dress code. The female, possessing greater charm and natural beauty, has been directed to cover all such parts of her anatomy. Males are also required to cover certain parts of their bodies. Among the parts of the body that Muslim women are required to cover are their hair, legs, arms - and the face, in public. The female face is the personification of her beauty and the most striking attraction of her anatomy. This covering not only discourages undesirable attention towards her, but also accords her a degree of respect, honour and dignity and of being in charge of her body and experiencing a sense of power over herself, which her unclad counterpart is totally deprived of.
Modesty in dress has been observed as a common feature of Christian, Jewish, Hindu and Muslim women of the past. Portraits of Voortrekker women, for example, clearly depict modesty in their dress. Their long, wide, loose-fitting frocks and the bonnet that covered their hair and part of the face bears eloquent testimony to this fact. It is due to the baneful influence of modernism and humanism that gradually women in the West were robbed of their natural dignity, until stage by stage, wearing the skimpiest of garments or nothing at all has become to be regarded as fashionable for women and the donning of clothes as being old-fashioned and out-of-date. The miserable women of the west may never admit it verbally, but they are green with envy about the dignity and respect of Muslim women. If only Muslim women can appreciate this fact and hold on fast to their golden ways!
ISLAM AND THE QUESTION OF GENDER EQUALITY
Common sense dictates that there can be no "equal" rights Allah, our Supreme Creator, has granted each gender their rights; men their rights and women theirs - some of these rights are common to both genders; some special to men and some special to women. Allah has created both men and women to play their special role on earth. Some of the duties women are capable of doing is beyond the ability of men. While some of man's duties are beyond the ability of women. Men and women are not exactly equal and alike; this is why both have been created in the first
place as both have an important role to play. If this was not the case, Allah could have sufficed with creating just one of them. Every action of His is dictated by Divine Wisdom and Knowledge and it is not possible that Allah would create anything in this
universe in vain, with no purpose.When the point has been accepted that man and woman are not the same and that they have not been created for the same purpose, then common sense dictates that their rights cannot be the same or equal. There can be no "equality" of rights. Just as they are different in purpose of creation and duties, each gender should have their independent set of rights, some maybe common, others
may differ. This ought to have been a simple, straight-forward, logical fact of life, yet it has become one of the most confounded and complicated issue in the modern world where most people seem to be supporting the notion of "gender equality" or "equality
of rights between man and woman".
Serious Western thinkers doubt concept of "gender equality"These days some serious thinkers in the West are also beginning to accede to the fact that men and women are not totally equal; that this is more than clear and evident when viewed from every angle of their lives, whether the physiological, psychological, emotional or intellectual aspects of life, it is clear that men and women are distinctly different. When they are not exactly equal, it follows that they should not share rights that are completely equal.
To continue to insist on the "equality" of rights as is being done so vehemently in the West is to actually pursue an illogical ideology which is bound to have serious repercussions and is most likely to upset the delicate balance of nature and defeat the very purpose of "separate creation" of men and women. Islam which embodies
and cherishes logical and reasonable ideals does not and cannot support an illogical concept such as "gender equality".
Adverse propaganda cannot shake a true Muslim's understanding of womans' rights' issues.Because Islam has taken recognition of the distinct separation of duties and purpose of creation between the sexes, and hence the logical and sensible "separation of rights", rather than "equality" of rights, misguided persons have unjustly hurled
accusations of bias and prejudice against Islam on it's position towards womankind. So far has this issue been taken that it has even been alleged that Islam has in fact oppressed women or at least that Muslim men, by virtue of their Islamic values, oppress their women! Yet any person who has undertaken even a superficial study of Islam knows that the evidence is to the contrary. It is beyond the scope of this article to delve into a lengthy exposition of the rights that women enjoy under Islam, but
suffice it to say that it is a universally accepted fact that prior to Islam, the position of woman in society had indeed been pathetic. It is among the universally acclaimed accomplishments of Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam), by friend and foe, that his religious order, Islam, had granted women such a status in society and such rights that no previous civilization had ever done before.
Since Muslims regard Nabi Muhammad (Sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) as the final Messenger and his religious order, Islam, as the last and most perfect way of life, it is simple for them to understand that no order, system, civilization or ism can ever better
the status or rights of women than what Islam has done. To believe otherwise, is to actually doubt the completeness and perfection of Islam, some thing no person who claims to adhere to or cherish Islam will ever do. If this simple and fundamental truth
is whole-heartedly embraced by the people of Islam, no amount of adverse propaganda will affect their understanding of the rights – and position - of woman in Islam.
Haz Sheikh Zakariyya's historic visit to Stanger in 1981 will be remembered not only by the people of Stanger, but also the thousands of visitors from the country and abroad.
Twenty one years have passed since the Ramadan of 1402-1981. That unique Ramadan will forever remain a memorable Ramadan for South Africa. For it was in that Ramadan, that a great saint of the century, Hazrat Shaikh Zakariyya (R) and hundreds of other pious persons visited our country.
This great saint was flooded with invitations from dozens of cities all over the world to be their guest for Ramadan, but from all of these invitations, Allah Ta'ala destined for him to accept the invitation of a small town in the North Coast of Natal, the town of Stanger. It was an unparalleled honour for the Muslims of Stanger to be blessed with this opportunity. This singular event emblazoned the name of Stanger on the map of the spiritual world forever.
Hazrat Shaikh Zakariyya (R) and his entourage of saintly people spent the entire duration of Ramadan in I'itikaaf at the Jami Masjid of Stanger. In fact, his stay in Stanger was close to 40 days. Close to 500 senior Ulama and other pious people from various parts of the world spent this month in his august company. A rigorous daily spiritual program used to take place and the entire Masjid was filled with spiritual effulgence and grace. Only those who spent some time in this environment, truly understand the electric atmosphere that prevailed. It is beyond description.
The people of Stanger were afforded a golden opportunity to be in the service of Hazrat Shaikh and his pious guests. Many grabbed this opportunity with two hands and worked tirelessly to serve best these honourable guests. The grand finale was when this great man of Allah departed the town, all those who served him and his guests were granted a special audience with him, where he blessed them with immense Duas. To appreciate the magnitude of this event, it would be important to understand this personality and his mission.
Who was Shaikh Zakariyya (R)? It can be stated without fear of contradiction that Shaikh Zakariyya was among the greatest of saints in the century. He hailed from a family of spiritual masters and saints. Besides the men, even his mother, grandmother and other ladies in his family were very saintly persons. Brought up in this pious environment, he grew up in the lap of saintly people. From his childhood, he displayed signs of greatness and piety. All the saints of the time showed deep love and affection for him. He was continuously blessed by their Duas.
After completing his formal education, he began to serve Islam in earnest. His sterling services to Islam, spanning more than half a century, are acclaimed by all scholars. His love for studying and teaching Hadith was such, that he was given the title of "Shaikhul-Hadith". He was also a prolific author whose works gained such acceptance due to his intense sincerity that after the Holy Qur'an, his books are the most read in the world today. His works have been translated into several languages. Such was the lofty spiritual status he reached, that he was blessed with the title of "Qutbul-Aqtaab" – "The Saint of all Saints". Such was his acceptance in the world that hundreds of thousands of people loved him and benefited from his company. He was a centerpiece of attraction, receiving hundreds of visitors daily from all parts of the world. Such was his burning and ardent love for Rasul-Paak (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) that he emigrated permanently to Madinah Shareef towards the latter part of his life (about 15-16 years). Subsequently he passed on in this blessed city and rests in the graveyard of Jannatul-Baqi alongside his spiritual mentor and guide, Hazrat Maulana Khalil Ahmed (R).
After having settled in Madinah Shareef, it was his desire not to go anywhere but to die in this blessed city. He was old and frail and had served the Deen for decades. However, Allah Ta'ala desired to take great work of Deen from him and despite his old age, ill health and infirmities, he was directed to visit different parts of the world to establish the gatherings of Zikr so that people could become connected to Allah Ta'ala and they could become spiritually cleansed and elevated. In this connection he traveled to several countries of the world such as Pakistan, UK, Zambia, Reunion and South Africa. His visit to Stanger, South Africa in the Ramadan of 1402-1981 was for this very purpose.
It was his heart-felt desire that the gatherings of Zikr must become established everywhere so that people could move away from crass materialism towards spiritual rejuvenation. Not only did Hazrat Shaikh consider this practice to be extremely beneficial for the general public, but he also considered it important for the Madaris and for the Tablighi-Jamaats. This matter has been covered in captivating detail by the senior Khalifah of Hazrat Shaikh, Sufi Iqbal Muhajir-Madani in his work Majalis-Zikr-aur-Hazrat-Shaikh. It is worthwhile reading this work, especially about the famous dream wherein Rasulullah (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) gave certain instructions to Hazrat Shaikh, after which he concentrated his full attention on this aspect (of Zikr-Majalis and Khanqahs).
In the very last stages of his life, when a new Islamic century was dawning, Hazrat Shaikh applied all his energy and strength towards enlivening this branch of Islam. Despite his infirmity, old age and being unaccustomed to travelling all his life, he undertook long and arduous journeys for the sake of this great mission. Untold sacrifices were made in this direction. The result and outcome of this effort was a new spiritual life that infused the Ummah.
So consumed was he by the passion to accomplish this great mission, he wrote in one letter to Shaikh Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi (R) thus: "It is my firm conviction that the remedy for all evils is the Zikr of Allah. For this very aim I am wandering from country to country, because the Khanqahs have become extinct all over the world." May Allah perpetuate the spiritual legacy of this great man for centuries. Aameen.
(Mufti Zubair Bayat)
(At a time when Muslim names are stinking in corruption and scandals,
it is time for serious reflection …)
When a Muslim loses direction and purpose in life, then all he lives for is the short-lived enjoyment of this short life. When a Muslim lives just to own and drive an expensive car like a friend of his does, when he lives just to have a fabulous house like the neighbours have, when he lives just to jetset around the world like fellow businessmen, when he lives just to have fun, entertainment, enjoyment, leisure and pleasure like others do, then he is walking on a dangerous road.
He begins to makes 'Tawaaf' of material wealth …
The day he begins to think in this way, the day these become important objects in his life, when he begins to makes 'Tawaaf' of these things, that come what may, he feels he must have these things no matter how, he MUST have it. From that day onwards, the lines separating Halaal and Haraam become blurred for him! Trying to differentiate between right and wrong, honesty and corruption becomes meaningless for him because these desired and coveted things HAVE to be achieved no matter how! This is greed in its raw and ugly form – the desire to have at any cost. Greed drives this greedy man. He sets out with a dirty intention, waiting for any opportunity to grab what he can. Sadly, this is the way many Muslims have become these days.
His "eyes become bigger than his stomach!"
Allah has blessed this greedy man with a good business which provided for all his basic needs and ten times more. But he feels this is NOT enough. He wants bigger and more. Nasty greed consumes his intelligence, taking hold of him. He feels he MUST expand, have a bigger business. He wants to knock out the 'small guys' in town, he wants to be 'king'! He wants it all for himself. His "eyes become bigger than his stomach!" He can only eat a plate of food, but he wants the whole pot of food for himself! His mentality becomes one of "Live and let die!"
He is drowning and he knows it. But he is not cared!
To expand his business operations, he incurs big time debt. The cash-flushed banking institutions are hunting for his 'type' to advance an exorbitant riba loan. Merchants are ever-willing to fill him up with stocks. All looks like it is going well for him. He does well for a while. Then suddenly the economy takes a down turn (very common these days). Business is down. Things take a turn for the worst. Interest rates shoot up. Banks hurriedly call their monies in. Creditors clamour for payment. The man can't make it. He starts to go down and under. He is drowning and he knows it. But he is not cared! He seems to have no worry in the world.
His equally-crooked lawyers have worked it all out for him - some of them actually 'specialize' in this field!
He makes a wicked and calculated move – planned in advance. He has done his 'homework'. His equally-crooked lawyers have worked it all out for him - some of them actually 'specialize' in this field! Stocks are moved out quickly and stealthily from his premises to unknown locations. Other valuables and assets find their way into 'safe' places. Nothing is on his 'name'! Now he simply gets liquidated, gets sequestrated and walks away scot free! The people he has done in know it all. He has 'taken them' for millions! They wring their hands in despair, they grit their teeth in anger, but there is little they can do. They are helpless against the law to do anything much. Yet in the law of Allah, he is obligated to pay back everything, to the last cent! He can never walk away from this fact!
How can he enjoy that what is tainted with the blood, sweat and tears of others?
In the meanwhile, he simply walks away without a care - to enjoy his ill-gotten fortune! While he is enjoying his break, his crooked mind and greedy heart is already at work thinking to start up another scam ... But all the time, his inner voice of Imaan, the conscience, screams at him from deep inside "How can you do this!" In his silent thoughts he manages a weak reply "But everyone else is doing it!" But within himself, he knows this is no justification. In the midst of enjoying his little "successes" and pleasures, deep inside he feels guilty, unhappy and miserable. He knows this is not HIS! He hasn't earned it. He cannot enjoy it because it is tainted with the blood, sweat and tears of others. How can he enjoy it then!
He knows fully well "Easy come, easy go!"
He is also gripped by an unknown fear. He knows fully well "Easy come, easy go!" He worries and worries. "Will I lose it all after making it?" Perhaps a robbery, a hold-up, the law, the taxman, maybe his own wife or children … He is demented by his fears. These thoughts begin to haunt his mind! He can't shake them off no matter how much he tries. His front of happiness is a deceptive façade. Deep inside, only he knows how he feels…
Already here, the 'hot flushes' of guilt torture his mind, heart and soul!
And this is the torment of this life. What awaits him in the other life - at the time of death, in the grave and on the day of Judgment - is altogether another matter. That is still to come. Already here, the 'hot flushes' of guilt torture his mind, heart and soul! How is he going to face the severe 'hot flushes' of the actual Fire! If only he could think about these things! Maybe there is still hope for him if he does …
He will perhaps receive lenient treatment for trying or even attempting to try!
What is the way out for this "poor" man if he really is looking for a way out? The road to repentance and repair starts with a good guide. Let him go to a pious, experienced and learned man – an Aalim. Let his place before him his entire case from end to end in full honesty and ask him to show the way out. Let him then follow the advice to the letter. One day, he will find his way out. It may take a long time, even the rest of his life to pay back every cent, cutting back his standard of living, but it will be worth it at the end. Even if life did not allow him enough time to make full amends, at least he was on the road! He will perhaps receive lenient treatment for trying or even attempting to try! Better try and fail than fail to try, as the saying goes. But if he didn't do even this much, then tears of blood too will not avail him …
A Muslim Businessmans Oath
I will, Insha-Allah, behave Islamically towards:
* My intention for business will not be merely to enrich myself but to earn Halaal and spend in the right path
* I will regard it as a compulsory duty to learn all the Islamic rules and laws regarding business from the Ulama
* I will then always conduct my business according to the Laws of Shari'ah
* I will spend my resources wisely, always maintaining appropriate reserves for difficult times
* My primary responsibility is to provide the best quality product to those who come to my business
* I will receive my customers politely and treat them with respect and dignity
* I will work to cut my overhead costs in order to charge reasonable prices
* I will process all transactions speedily and without errors
* I will not misrepresent my products or services to any customer at all
*I will gladly accept to refund a dissatisfied customer
My Suppliers and Distributors:
* I will work with my suppliers and distributors to maintain consistency in quality and service
* I will ensure that they make a fair profit
* All my employees will work in safe and clean conditions
* They will receive fair and adequate compensation
* They will have ample opportunities to develop their skills
* They will feel free to make suggestions, or complaints
* I will safeguard their rights and respect their dignity at all times
* I will clearly communicate to all employees what is expected of them
* I will compensate my employees equitably
* I will allow them reasonable time to fulfil their religious obligations, especially Salaah & Hajj
* I will not engage in monopolistic behaviour and preclude others from competing with me
* I will compete fairly without engaging in un-Islamic tactics
* I will not be envious or malicious towards my competitors in anyway
* I will support the community I live in as well as the world-wide Ummah
* I will be a good citizen, by contributing to the welfare of the needy and the destitute in society
Mufti Zubair Bayat
Calamities On Muslims: Causes & Cures
Written by: Mufti Farooq Meeruti Saheb
Translated by: Mufti Zubair Bayat
Approved by: Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Saheb
1. HEAPS OF DISGRACE
"Verily Allah does not change the condition of a people unless they change it themselves." 13/11.
The Muslim is daily faced by a host of new problems and difficulties. Now and again, reports of untold oppression and barbarism against Muslims are received. Their lives, property and self-respect is trampled upon and worse than that, their religious matters are tampered and interfered with, their Musjids are under constant threat of being converted into temples and are disallowed proper implementation of their (Muslim) personal law.
2. OUR BLINDNESS
Despite this, the Muslim considers these to be chance occurrences or mere coincidences, thus never pausing to even consider the actual cause and reason behind this suffering. At the most, a few concerned souls, who are momentarily stirred by this state of affairs, call up some fancy conference, pass a few vague resolutions and disappear back into oblivion, contented that they have fulfilled their duties towards Islam.
3. THE DIAGNOSIS
A dire need exists for us to study the Qur'aan and Hadith and thereby realize the primary cause for our disgrace and downfall. It is an undisputed axiom of reality that no incident occurs in this Universe accidentally. We as Muslims believe that every occurrence is directly by the command and doing of Almighty Allah. However, every occurrence has been assigned an outward cause, that apparently seems to control and govern it. Thus our difficulties are also governed by causes which Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) have explained to us in the Quran and Hadith:
* "And whatever calamity befalls you, it is due to your own doings and Allah forgives many of your shortcomings." 42/30.
At another juncture:
* "Corruption has spread on water and land due to the doings of mankind. In order that Allah make them taste the penalty of some of their doings. Perhaps they may retract. (from their disobedience) 30/41.
At another juncture:
* Why would Allah punish you if you were grateful and believed. And Allah is Most appreciative, All-Knowing. 4/147.
All these verses indicate that the chastisement of Allah is the direct result of our disobedience, ungratefulness and transgression. On the other hand, if we are obedient and grateful, no punishment will overtake us.
Proper appreciation of Allah's bounties is the correct utilization of these favours. To utilize life, health, faculties of sight, hearing, feeling, thinking, locomotion, finances, status and position, all for the pleasure of Allah and in accordance with His commandments is true appreciation of Allah's bounties. The anti-thesis of this is ungratefulness, which invites the wrath and displeasure of Allah.
5. HEAVENLY BLESSINGS (BARKAH)
Adopting a life of taqwa (piety) i.e. fulfilling all the commands of Shariah and abstaining from the prohibitions is the cause of blessings descending from the heavens.
* "If the people of the locality had believed and adopted taqwa (piety), We would have opened upon them the blessings of the heavens and the earth, but they denied and falsified, thus We seized them due to their actions." 7/96.
There are innumerous ayaat and ahadith to this effect.
6. THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN
With regards to the verse:
* "And whatever calamity befalls you, it is due to your own doings." 42/30
Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) explained the tafsir of this ayat to Hazrat Ali (RA) thus:
* "0 Ali! whatever calamity befalls you; illness, afflication or any worldly calamity; it is the earning of your own hands."
* Hazrat Hasan (R) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: "By Him in whose control is my life! Any scratch, twitching of veins, slipping of the foot or a flying stone suddenly striking the body; all are due to the committing of sins".
* Hazrat Abu Musa (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: "A wound or any slighter calamity is due to the commission of sins."
* Hazrat Imraan bin Husain (RA) once felt ill. People came to pay him a visit and expressed their condolences. He replied: "What is achieved by condolences? This is due to some sin I have committed."
* Hazrat Dahhak (RA) reports that: "A person who forgets the Quran after learning it is due to committing sins." Thereafter he recited this verse and said: "What could be a greater calamity than forgetting the Quran?"
* Once Hazrat Asma binte Abu Bakr (RA) experienced a headache. She exclaimed: "This is due to my sins." - DurreManthoor, Ibne-Katheer.
7. OUR CONDITION
Let us now examine our lifestyles. Salat which has been described as the criterion between Imaan and Kufr (disbelief) how much does it feature in the life of the Muslims? How many are there who are punctual with their obligatory Salat?
How many adhere to the other basic requirements of Islam such as Fasting, Zakat and Hajj? On the otherhand, consider the prohibitions of Islam; those actions that Shariah has declared Haram and a source of Divine curses and harsh reprisals. How many Muslims are engrossed in these day and night? How many have adopted these as part of their lifestyle?
* Let us consider liquor for example. The Quran has repeatedly forbidden the intake of liquor.
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) has cursed anyone associated with liquor in anyway.
He has cursed the consumer, the stockist, the manufacturer, the marketer, the buyer, the seller, the transporter, the receiver and those that derived any income from it.
* In one hadith it has been titled as "The root to all evil."
9. INTEREST AND USURY
* The Quran has declared the prohibition of interest. The Cluran has equated the usage of interest tantamount to declaring war upon Allah and His Rasul [sallallaahu alaihi wasallam]
* The hadith has classified interest a conglomeration of 73 sins; the slightest of these being equal to fornicating with one's own mother (incest).
* One hadith warns that the consumer of interest will rise as a lunatic on the Day of Qiyamah.
* Another hadith warns that the part of the humanbody that was nourished by haram income, will not enter Jannah.
* One hadith states that the nation that has taken to fornication and interest should await the chastisement of Allah.
Let us now consider how clear our dealings and transactions are! Interest forms an integral part of our business dealings. Worse than that, desperate attempts are being made to even legalise it (Islamically).
10. VARIOUS MAJOR SINS
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said:
"When my ummah will be involved in fifteen activities, then calamities will descend upon them:
1. Public finances will be regarded as personal property
2. Amanat (Trust) will be abused
3. Zakat will be considered a tax (burden)
4. Wives will be obeyed
5. Mothers will be disobeyed
6. Friends will be well-treated
7. Parents will be ill-treated
8. Noise and commotion will be common in Musjids
9. Unqualified persons will occupy positions of responsibility
10. Respect will be shown to some people merely to escape their tyranny
11. Liquor will be consumed openly
12. Men will don silk garments
13. Singing girls will be available (for entertainment)
14. Musical instruments will be rampant
15. The Pious predecessors will be reviled and vituperated; The ummah should then await hurricanes, earthquakes and transformation of some people (into animals).
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas (RA) states:
* The nation that is involved in misappropriation of trust (embezzlement), Allah will fill their hearts with terror for their enemies. The nation that is engaged in fornication, will experience great numbers of death. The nation that cheats in measure, will have their sustenance curtailed. The nation that legislates against the truth and justice, will experience great bloodshed and the nation that breaks it's contracts, will be subdued by the enemy." - Mishkaat.
N.B. Which of these sins are not the daily life - style of most Muslims today? It is no cause of surprise if we are now afflicted by various calamities.
* Hazrat Abdullah bin Umar (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said: "O Muhajireen! Five things are such that if you are involved in them, may Allah not cause you to be involved in them, then the punishment of Allah will descend upon you. The nation that is openly involved in zina (fornication) will become afflicted by plague and other such diseases that were never heard of before.
Those that cheat in measuring, will be afflicted by poverty, hardship and oppression. Those that default in the paying of zakat, will be afflicted by drought. Had it not been for the animals, not a drop of rain would have fallen. Those that transgress the bounds of Allah and His Rasul, will be overcome by the enemy. As for those that legislate unjustly, they will be involved in internicine fighting.
* It is also reported in a hadith that fornication and adultery causes poverty.
* Many ahadith report curses upon the briber and the accepter of bribes and even upon the intermediary in such dealings.
* In one hadith, it is reported that the nation that breaks it's promises will be involved in internal strife and conflicts.
* In one hadith it is reported that those accustomed to dealings in bribery will become greatly awe-struck and fearful (of everyone).
13. FALSE OATHS
* It is reported in one hadith that the sin that is extremely swift in inviting the punishment of Allah is oppression and false oaths. This causes wealth to be destroyed and women to become barren (that such people have no off-spring) and annihilates entire populations (by high death rates).
14. DISOBEDIENCE TO PARENTS
* In one hadith it is reported that Allah withholds punishments until He desires, but disobedience to parents brings instant chastisement and the punishment is meted out before death even.
* In one hadith it is narrated: Remain chaste, your wives will also remain chaste and be obedient towards your parents, your children will be obedient to you.
15. ENJOINING RIGHT AND FORBIDDING EVIL
* It is reported in one hadith that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said:
By Him in whose control is my life! You should continue to enjoin the right and forbid the wrong, else Allah will descend such a punishment upon you, that you will make dua unto Him and He will not accept your duas."
* In one hadith it is reported that Allah does not punish a whole community on the sins of a small group of people, until these people transgress openly, before such people who have the power of preventing them and yet do not do so. The punishment of Allah then overtakes all. The duas of the pious will then be of no avail to anyone.
N.B. It is due to overlooking such regulations that day by day, we are observing greater calamities, disasters, destruction, violence, diseases, accidents involving planes, trains, ships and cars. Now that the regulations of Amr bil Ma'roof Nahi anil Munkar (Enjoining right and forbidding evil) have been almost totally discarded, there is no hope of even acceptance of our duaas.
16. OPPRESSION AND INJUSTICE
* It is reported in one hadith: Do not oppress else your duas will be rejected.
* In one hadith: Allah grants respite to the oppressor; but when He seizes him, he cannot escape punishment.
* In one narration: The dua of the oppressed is accepted even though he be a sinner or even a disbeliever.
* In one hadith: He that does not show mercy upon the creation, Allah will not show mercy upon him. Hazrat Sufyan Thauri (R) reports that:
Once the Banu Israeel were terribly afflicted by famine for seven years. They eventually began to consume the meat of dead animals and finally human corpses. Out of sheer desperation they climbed upon mountain tops and cried out in anguish. Allah Ta'ala revealed to one of their Nabis that had they to raise their hands right into the sky and had their tongues dried out, I will not accept their duas until they do not return the rights of the oppressed amongst them.
N.B. Let us now consider the present condition of oppression throughout the world and understand the extent of Allah's displeasure with us.
* It is reported in one hadith: Charity does not decrease wealth, forgiveness increase's ones respect and begging opens the door of poverty.
18. DISHONOURING THE ULAMA
* It is reported in one hadith: When my ummah will despise their Ulema, be extravagant in beautifying their businesses and will consider marriage proposals on the basis of wealth, then Allah will afflict them with four punishments: drought, oppression, misappropriation of their wealth by their leaders and enemy - attacks.
* Hazrat Ali (RA) reports that the worldly chastisement for committing sins is: Lethargy in worship, restriction in sustenance and decrease in pleasure.
* Hazrat Anas (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: Be meticulous in performing wuzu (with all it's ettiquettes), your lifespan will increase and your protecting angels will love you; observe your (nafl) prayers in your home, it will enhance the blessings of your home and make salaam to your family when you enter your home, the blessings of it will permeate you and your family.
* Where we constantly complain about "hard times" and poverty, have we ever pondered on what Allah Ta'ala has to say: O son of Adam! Free yourself for My ibadah, I will fill your heart with contentment and independence, and I will remove your poverty. If you do not do so, I will engross you in your occupations and (yet) I will not remove your poverty. * In one hadith it is narrated: If my servants obey me dutifully, I will send rain at night and sunshine during the day (that they be not frightened by the lightning and thunder).
22. OUR EXAMPLE
How cruel have we been upon ourselves that due to our sins we are constantly involving ourselves in disasters and calamities? At the same time, we continuously lament and wail away at our pathetic condition. Our example is like that of a person suffering from diahorrea and yet continues to take laxatives, complaining all the time of diahorrea. What could be said to such a fool?
23. OPPRESSIVE LEADERS
* In a similar way, today we complain about the oppression of our leaders, whereas these leaders have been appointed over us due to our transgressions. The only salvation from them is through taubah and perfect obedience to Allah's commands.
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: Just as you are (your actions are) so will your rulers be.
* In another hadith, it is reported:
I am Allah, there is no deity besides Me, I am the King of Kings and the Master of Kings, the heart of Kings are within My control; when My servants are obedient to me, I make their rulers kind-hearted towards them; when they disobey Me, I turn their rulers against them with anger and tyranny, they then oppress them severly. Therefore, instead of cursing them, turn towards me in remembrance and submission, I will protect you against their tyranny.
* In the Quran, Allah Ta'ala states:
"And thus We subjugate some oppressors to other (oppressors) due to their doings." 6/129. There are various views to this ayat;
* Hazrat A'amash's view is that when people's actions become corrupt, then Allah appoints the most oppressive people as leaders over them.
* In one hadith it is reported that: When Allah desires the felicity of a nation; He makes the tolerant amongst them their leaders, the Ulema their arbitrators and the generous their wealthy and on the other hand, when He desires the torment of a nation; He appoints their foolish as their leaders, the ignorant as arbitrators and the miserly as their wealthy.
* In one hadith it is reported: Do not engross yourselves in cursing and abusing your rulers; in fact you should gain the proximity of Allah (through obedience) and make dua on their behalf, Allah will turn their hearts towards you in mercy and kindness.
* A pious person once overheard someone cursing Hajjaaj (the notorious tyrant). He prevented him from this, saying: Whatever is happening is the result of your own actions. I fear that if Hajjaaj is deposed or expires, monkeys and swine be made rulers over you.
* It is a popular adage: "Your actions are your rulers." In other words, depending on your actions, will your rulers treat you.
* If the prince is rebellious, the king will appoint an ordinary citizen to whip him. The prince will be totally helpless to take any action against him, because he is backed by the king. His salvation is only in entreating the king for mercy and apologizing to him. Now, let alone an ordinary citizen, not even a high-ranking minister or official has the right to touch the prince. This is the example of the Muslim ummah. If we are disobedient to Allah, He appoints the weakest of nations upon us. They torture and oppress us most mercilessly. Our only salvation is by turning to Allah in sincere regret and repentance. Then no nation, not even the so called "superpowers" will have the courage to stare at us!
Time and again, we are crushed by disasters and calamities, our laments, complaints and wailing never ends, y t when our shortcomings are pointed out to us, we remain totally indifferent and heedless, Never have we even attempted to bring about any reform within ourselves. Never have we attempted to avoid those destructive sins and crimes that are the direct sources of our misery and suffering. It is most astonishing that when an ordinary doctor warns of some epidemic, we are hasty to innoculate ourselves; when an ordinary labourer warns about the presence of a poisonous snake in the vicinity, not even the bravest person will venture in that direction; yet when Allah and His Rasul are consistently guiding us towards our success and warning us against our destruction (with the greatest of concern and sincerity) we remain totally unmoved and heedless; and we plunge headlong into those very pitfalls of destruction.
* Our only road to success and glory is total obedience to Allah and His Rasul, and following step-by-step the path treaded by our pious predecessors.
24. JUNGLES CLEARED
* History proves that this is how the Muslim will attain victory and glory over the world. This is how the Muslims of yonder, despite being in the minority, conquered city after city, country after country, and ruled the world over centuries. Then not only did they rule over land and people; they even ruled over animals and the elements of nature.
* When the army of the Sahaba stood on the shore of Africa's formidable jungles, then the commander-in-chief, Hazrat Uqba (RA) made an announcement to the speechless inhabitants of the jungle: O denizens of the jungle! We are the Sahaba on our mission. We request you to clear this jungle. After this ultimatum if any of you are found herein, we will kill you! Hardly was this announcement completed, that streams of deadly animals, herding away their young ones, were seen exiting the jungle as swiftly as possibly.
25. LIONS TAMED
* A Sahabi, Hazrat Safinah (RA) once lost his way and strayed away into a jungle. Suddenly a lion appeared. He introduced himself to the lion and explained his plight to it. Waging it's tail like a subdued puppy, the lion led the way for him, growling away any would-be attackers, and finally led him to a clearing where an army of the Sahaba (RA) was encamped.
26. SEAS SUBJUGATED
* In the battle of Madain, the Sahaba needed to cross a stormy sea in order to reach the enemy shores. There were no ships available. Hazrat Sa'd (RA) instructed his army to plunge into the sea in pairs of two. The horses pranced across the water most calmly. Hazrat Sa'd (RA) was heard saying: Verily Allah will certainly assist His friends; Allah will certainly grant them victory over their enemies until they do not commit injustices or until their vices do not overpower their virtues.
* Similar is the incident of Hazrat Ala bin Hadhrami (RA), who crossed the sea with an army of four thousand soldiers. Such was their crossing, that not even did the hooves of the horses become wet.
* Yet a slight error from even the Sahaba (RA) led to difficulties and suffering. The battle of Uhud is a classical example. A winning battle almost resulted in defeat merely because a few Sahaba erred in carrying out the instructions of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) to the letter.
* In the battle of Hunain, a boastful remark by some soldiers resulted in severe setback for the Muslims. Through the graces of Allah, they were ultimately victorious.
* In the battle against the Murtads (renegades) of the Bani Hanifah; a chance remark by Hazrat Khalid (RA) almost turned the tables, and the Muslims had to put up with most formidable resistance.
* At times, discarding a sunnah resulted in the frustrating delay of victory. The Sahaba (RA) constantly feared any violation of the Shariah, realizing that this produced adverse effects on their victory and success. For this reason, the Khalifa always emphasised upon them the importance of the teachings of Shariah.
* Hazrat Umar (RA) thus advised Hazrat Utbah bin Ghazwan (RA) after appointing him commander of the army: Adhere strictly to taqwa (piety) and justice in all your decisions. Offer your salat punctually and engage excessively in remembrance (zikr) of Allah.
* Hazrat Umar (RA) handed a memorandum to his governors, emphasizing the importance of salat upon them: Salat is the most important regulation of Islam; if you can uphold it meticulously, the rest of Islam will be easy to practice. The person that is neglectful of it, will certainly neglect the rest of Deen.
* Even Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam), at the time of hardship and crisis, used to resort immediately to salaat.
* Hazrat Abu Darda (RA) reports that when a strong wind used to blow, Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) would enter the Masjid and resort to salat until the storm subsided.
* Many Sahaba (RA) report similar narrations of his hastening towards salat at times of calamity, fear or darkness.
* One Sahabi reports that this was the habit of all the previous Ambiya (AS) and the majority of the Sahaba (RA).
29. OPPRESSION - IT'S RESULTS.
History is replete with incidents of the destruction of the oppressor and the alleviation of the oppressed. Did Allah not disgrace Namrud at the hands of his populace and destroy him through an insignificant mosquito?
* Did He not protect His friend, Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) from the blazing inferno and convert it into a garden of bliss? Thus Allah assists the oppressed and destroys the oppressors.
* Did Allah not crush the proud and mighty Firaun and elevate the oppressed and down-trodden Bani Israel?
* Did Allah not preserve the Little boy that was so mercilessly hurled into a deserted well, sold for a few coins, who was falsely accused and imprisoned and finally elevate him to the throne of Egypt and honour him with the crown of Nubuwat? (Hazrat Yusuf (AS)
* Did Allah not humble and subjugate the proud and haughty Meccans that forced His beloved and his companions out of their birthplaces? Did He not bring the day of glorious victory at the conquest of Makkah when the arch-enemy were running helter-skelter out of terror, begging for. mercy and compassion?
* On the other, the ungrateful citizens of Iraq, constantly harrassed their just and compassionate rulers; as a result, Allah appointed Hajjaaj bin Yusuf over them, whose tyranny, cruelty and harshness knew no bounds.
30. LESSONS OF HISTORY
* History bears ample testimony to the fact that so long as the Muslims continued to uphold the Quran and ahadith in their daily lives, countries, nay empires crumbled at their feet. Small bands of devout Muslims were sufficient to terrorize and demolish mighty forces. Emperors of superpowers trembled at the mere thought of the Muslims.
* Yet these very victors of mighty empires, when they succumbed to comforts and luxuries, discarded the Quran and Hadith, resorted to oppression and cruelty of their subjugates, became power-drunk and arrogant and indulged openly in wine and women; fell from the glorious pinnacles of civilization and progress to the abyss of disgrace and stagnation.
31. TRAGEDY OF BAGHDAD
* Baghdad that had enjoyed the position of capital of the mighty Islamic empire for decades, makes a tragical lesson of history for the Muslims. The superficial Muslims of this grand city that was the home of great educational institutions (Darul Ulooms) and spiritual reformatories (khanqahs), and the seat of science, technology, research, arts and skills, resorted to oppression of the non-muslim population of their city. They were denied the basic human rights and benefits that Islam so magnanimously confers upon the non-muslim inhabitants of a Muslim state. When this injustice reached an unbearable stage, an old man from the non-Muslims, climbed a nearby mountain and in sheer helplessness, called out to the "God of the Muslims", whom the Muslims claimed was so Just and Compassionate, to assist the oppressed and down-trodden. A voice from the unseen called out to him:
"Prepare yourselves and attack! We will assist you." The non-muslims made a sudden and a most terrific onslaught upon the Muslims. So terrible was the result of the carnage that only 600 000 survived out of a total of 2 million. 1,4 million were massacred in no time. One non-muslim, single handedly slaughtered a contingent of 150 fully armed Muslim soldiers. A non-muslim woman killed 50 Muslim soldiers all on her own. This was in revenge for the years of oppression they were made to suffer. Allah turned the tables, and granted victory to the down trodden nation of the oppressed, for verily, He is Rabbul Aalemeen, The Lord of the Universe - not only of the Muslims. The non-muslims are also His creation and subjects.
* Thereafter, this marauding band of non-muslim victors, held a conference. All were unanimous that it was the "God of the Muslims" that answered their plea and call for assistence. They thus concluded that such a god was truly worthy of worship. The Muslims were disobedient to their god and never abided to the teachings of their religion, thus they were disgraced. Hence, Islam was a true religion. They unanimously decided to accept Islam and ruled over the Islamic empire for centuries (over 17 generations). It is the law of Allah: "If, you turn away, He will replace you with another nation. They will not be (disobedient) like you." 47/38.
32. THE BLOODY HISTORY OF INDIA
* The rise and fall of Muslim rule in India is a heart-rendering lesson of History for the Muslims. A mere force of 12000 men, conquered this mighty land. Year after year, Muslims progressed and thrived. Their rulers were, just, kind and pious. For centuries they held sway over this huge empire. Degeneration slowly set in and the Muslim rulers fell prey to comfort, luxury and pleasures. They ignored the affairs of state. Soon corruption and oppression became rife and in a short time, Muslim rule was sliding down the muddy path of degeneration and rushing headlong towards total disintegration. Hazrat Shah Waliullah (R) in his spiritual farsightedness and political insight, went door-to-door, throught the streets of the Muslims capital, Delhi and warned the people of imminent disaster. "O my People! Abstain from the disobedience of Allah. I have visions of rivers of blood flowing down the streets of Delhi." People laughed him off and swept aside his entreating, most disdainfully, as the raving and ranting of a mad "mullah"!
* Eventually, the dreaded disaster dawned. The enemy attacked and overnight, thousands were massacred. The streets of Delhi were a ghastly sight. Human corpses lined the streets and "rivers of blood flowed down the streets of Delhi." Other corpses were dumped into the Jamna River, (a massive river of India) that resulted in a blockage of the water flow (imagine the number of bodies to cause such an obstruction). The entire river water turned red with human blood. This is the tragic but true tale of the Muslims of India.
33. SLUMBER OF THE MUSLIM NATION
* With great regret and sorrow it has to be noted that despite all these upheavels, the Muslim nation continues to slumber away. Never have they taken lesson from their past and never have they formulated a directive and a goal for the future. Never have we pondered over the vissisitudes of life; the daily lessons of the change of tides in the affairs of the world. Despite being totally insignificant in the affairs of the world and in the eyes of the non-muslims, we continue to labour away in this false sense of pride that we once ruled the world. The Muslims continue to lead a sedentary existence of listlissness, heedlessness, indulgence in luxuries and pleasures, false pride and vainglory, sin, crime and transgression, oppression and exploitation, ignorance in trade, commerce, science and technology. On the other hand they are involved in mutual hatred, enmity, racism, discrimination, embroiled against each other in court cases and law-suits. Their ignorance of religion compels them to uphold meaningless customs and rituals and competing against each other in these, they spend lavish and large sums of money, involving themselves at times in massive debts accompanied by hefty percentages of interest. Ultimately they have to sell hearth and home to alleviate these crushing financial disasters and land up as penniless paupers on the side of streets. Due to lethargy and indolence they are not prepared to undertake labour or any menial occupations and finally end up as the scum and scavengers of society - abject beggars at the doors of all and sundry. What a dismal picture! When will we awake?
34. THE CURE
* This is merely a framework and a totally elementary programme for general upliftment and reform of the Muslim ummah.
1. Every Muslim, male and female, must immediately resolve to at least fulfill the basic requirements of Islam, salat in particular.
2. A massive educational programme to be specially launched on an organized basis with emphasis on religious education and education of adults.
3. Basing our social life on the sunnah and our economical activities solely on the laws of Shariah.
4. Total abstention from mutual conflicts and in fighting.
5. In case of contention, to amicably solve any problems through proper arbitration.
6. Encouragement of business, trade and skills.
7. Dissociation from all customs and rituals at the time of birth, marriages, funerals and other occasions.
8. Particular emphasis on cleanliness, tidiness, health education and physical fitness.
May Allah grant all Muslims the good of both the worlds. Aameen.
by Mufti Z.Bayat
The sudden demise of Hazrat Hajee Padia Sahib (rahmatullahi-alayi) came as a great shock to one and all. His demise is not only the loss of the Padia family, but indeed the loss of the Ummah at large. Today one and all feel like orphans (yatama) upon his death. Hazrat Hajee Sahib presence was a rahmah and blessing to the Ummah. His consistent duas for the well-being of the Ummah is today remembered by all. His mubarak advices on various occasions still ring in my ears. One of his regular advices
was: "Awwal maut, Aakhir maut, bar-Haqq maut, kullu-nafsin-za'iqatul-maut". With great sadness today, these words are remembered.
Indeed the loss of a beloved one is a great shock for near and dear ones. The pain and grief that is felt in the heart at such times cannot be described in words. It feels as though part of your own being has been taken away. May Allah Ta'ala grant his family a lofty state of Sabre-Jameel - patience, fortitude and inner strength and courage to bear the loss of their beloved deceased.
The people of Imaan are indeed fortunate that even in the midst of a great tragedy, they have Allah Ta'ala to take support from. They have the powerful words of the Holy Qur'an: "Inna-lillahi..." to derive strength and courage from. They have the
great Basharaat and glad-tidings of the Qur'an and Hadith. They have the beautiful example of our beloved Nabi (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) to emulate. They have the ways of the Sahabah and the Awliya and Saliheen to guide them. Then finally, they have the Duas, the moral support and the sympathies and condolences of their fellow Believers - Mu'mineen to give them solace. These all serve as a soothing balm for an aching heart.
May Allah Ta'ala in His infinite mercy grant our marhoom Hajee Sahib and all of us the lofty stages of Jannatul-Firdaus. He will Insha-Allah be far away from the mess and complication of this dunya and will be in a much better and noble place, in the
company of the Malai'kah and the pious. This should give us great comfort. Through the blessing of Imaan we will one day join them in the gardens of Jannah forever, never to be separated ever again, Insha-Allah. What a great favour of Allah Ta'ala
upon His believing servants.
It is not against the Sunnah to grieve within the limits of Shari'ah. In fact, it is good for one's health and quick recovery. It is even proper and correct to shed tears of sadness as this will allow all pent up feelings to subside. This natural feeling and emotion of grief must not be suppressed but allowed to take its natural course. So long as bad statements, crying loudly, screaming, tearing garments and hair, etc. do not take place, nor are any bid'ah acts performed before, during and after the funeral, you will Insha-Allah gain the full ajar and rewards of your Sabr. Allah Ta'ala has kept a great reward in store for such people. Dua-Maghfirat, Isale-Thawaab and visits to the Qabrastan (for males) are all acts which will not only benefit the Marhooms but
will also be a source of benefit for those who carry out these noble practices.
What is required on this occasion is to recognise the ways of life that would have made Hazrat Hajee Saheb happy if he were alive today. The same things will insha-Allah make his rooh- mubarak happy and his duas for those who will live up to his advices will continue in Aalame- Barzakh, Insha-Allah. Hazrat Hajee Saheb
made his life waqaf for this great mission of Da'wat and Tabligh. For this, he gave great sacrifices that astound those that know or hear about it. His near and dear ones must continue this great work as isale-sawaab for his ruh-mubarak.
Hazrat Hajee Saheb also emphasised greatly on the following matters and also showed us practically by his own example:
1. Simplicity in our whole way of life, especially weddings etc. He greatly disliked israaf of any sort
2. Love and ikraam of the Ulama
3. The importance of making an effort on the home
environment. He always used to say: "Ghar ghar ko madrasah bana'o; zikr ka khanqah bana'o aur da'wat wale kam ka markaz bana'o" - "Make every home a Madrasah of Islamic knowledge, a Khanqah of Zikr and a Markaz of
Tabligh and Da'wat"
May Allah grant us all to practice on his beautiful advices.
There are too numerous details about is life to cover in such a
short article. Insh'Allah, it is hoped that some day, a worthy
scholar will write on his life as it should serve as a source of
inspiration for many.
INTRODUCTION TO FATWA
With atrocities and injustices escalating all over the world, the suffering masses and those that wish to show support and solidarity with them are turning to mass-scale demonstrations and protests to give expression to their frustrations and feelings.
HOMOSEXUALITY – THE CURSED ACT:
by Mufti Zubair Bayat
Hazrat Thanwi R writes:
"Any relationship with a strange (ghair-mahram) woman or a handsome beardless youth (amrad); whether such a relationship entails looking at them, conversing with them to please the nafs (the carnal self), associating with them in privacy, adorning the self or voice to please them and to gain their admiration; all these are the result of a colossal and destructive spiritual malady with such tragic consequences, that are beyond description.
SODOMY & THE NATION OF LOOT
"And Lut! When he said unto his folk: Will you commit an obscenity that none has ever committed before you? You fulfil your lust on men instead of women? Indeed, you are a wanton nation" - 7/80-81
In these verses, Allah emphatically denounces the unnatural, perverted manner of sexual gratification that was practiced by the nation of Loot (and become known thereafter as sodomy.)
At another juncture in the Quraan Majeed, Allah has described the punishment inflicted upon this sick nation. Hazrat Jibra'eel lifted their entire city into the sky, inverted them and brought them crashing down onto earth with a terrific bang. Thereafter, boulders and rocks rained down upon them from the sky. These stones were of a different composition altogether, and each had the name of the culprit to be pelted by it inscribed upon it. Hazrat Maulana Phoolpuri most aptly comments on this incident:
"The actions of this nation were perverted and unnatural, thus the punishment meted out to them was a befitting one; THEY WERE INVERTED!"
Despite the sincerest of warnings from Hazrat Lut, they remained persistent in their foul deeds and doings; thus 40 000 of them were annihilated in a single moment.
Allah made them a lesson unto mankind right up to the Day of Judgment, that even today, traces of their destruction are present in the Dead Sea (also known as the "Sea of Lot"), the water of which is so dense and bitter, it will not permit any tree or vegetation to grow upon it's shores.
HOMOSEXUALITY & SODOMY
Hazrat Jabir reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) said:
"The action I fear most for my Ummah is the action of the nation of Lut (i.e. Sodomy)." - Mishkaat p. 313.
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas and Hazrat Abu Hurairah [Radiyallahu-Anhum] report from Rasulullah [Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam]:
"Accursed is he who commits the act of the nation of Loot [Alayhimus-Salaam]." - Mishkaat p.313.
PUNISHMENT FOR SODOMY
Hazrat Abubakr destroyed two homosexuals by having a wall crushed upon them.
Rasulullah [Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam] said: "Allah will not cast a glance of Mercy towards the person that commits the act of sodomy or anal sex with his wife." - Mishkaat p. 313.
HOMOSEXUALITY WITH HANDSOME LADS
Some words of wisdom regarding handsome lads:
Hazrat Abu Huraira reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: Do not stare at beardless youth.
Hazrat Anas reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: Beware of beardless youth for they are a greater source of mischief than young maidens.
Hazrat Umar used to say: I do not fear the danger of a wild animal let loose upon an aalim, as much as I fear the danger of a beardless, handsome lad upon him.
Hazrat Sufyan Thauri says: If every woman has one shaitaan accompanying her, then a handsome lad has two.
Imam Ghazzali writes: Turning a hungry lion upon an aabid (worshipper) is not as detrimental to him as a handsome lad left before him.