Mufti Zubair Bayat
Calamities On Muslims: Causes & Cures
Written by: Mufti Farooq Meeruti Saheb
Translated by: Mufti Zubair Bayat
Approved by: Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Saheb
1. HEAPS OF DISGRACE
"Verily Allah does not change the condition of a people unless they change it themselves." 13/11.
The Muslim is daily faced by a host of new problems and difficulties. Now and again, reports of untold oppression and barbarism against Muslims are received. Their lives, property and self-respect is trampled upon and worse than that, their religious matters are tampered and interfered with, their Musjids are under constant threat of being converted into temples and are disallowed proper implementation of their (Muslim) personal law.
2. OUR BLINDNESS
Despite this, the Muslim considers these to be chance occurrences or mere coincidences, thus never pausing to even consider the actual cause and reason behind this suffering. At the most, a few concerned souls, who are momentarily stirred by this state of affairs, call up some fancy conference, pass a few vague resolutions and disappear back into oblivion, contented that they have fulfilled their duties towards Islam.
3. THE DIAGNOSIS
A dire need exists for us to study the Qur'aan and Hadith and thereby realize the primary cause for our disgrace and downfall. It is an undisputed axiom of reality that no incident occurs in this Universe accidentally. We as Muslims believe that every occurrence is directly by the command and doing of Almighty Allah. However, every occurrence has been assigned an outward cause, that apparently seems to control and govern it. Thus our difficulties are also governed by causes which Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) have explained to us in the Quran and Hadith:
* "And whatever calamity befalls you, it is due to your own doings and Allah forgives many of your shortcomings." 42/30.
At another juncture:
* "Corruption has spread on water and land due to the doings of mankind. In order that Allah make them taste the penalty of some of their doings. Perhaps they may retract. (from their disobedience) 30/41.
At another juncture:
* Why would Allah punish you if you were grateful and believed. And Allah is Most appreciative, All-Knowing. 4/147.
All these verses indicate that the chastisement of Allah is the direct result of our disobedience, ungratefulness and transgression. On the other hand, if we are obedient and grateful, no punishment will overtake us.
Proper appreciation of Allah's bounties is the correct utilization of these favours. To utilize life, health, faculties of sight, hearing, feeling, thinking, locomotion, finances, status and position, all for the pleasure of Allah and in accordance with His commandments is true appreciation of Allah's bounties. The anti-thesis of this is ungratefulness, which invites the wrath and displeasure of Allah.
5. HEAVENLY BLESSINGS (BARKAH)
Adopting a life of taqwa (piety) i.e. fulfilling all the commands of Shariah and abstaining from the prohibitions is the cause of blessings descending from the heavens.
* "If the people of the locality had believed and adopted taqwa (piety), We would have opened upon them the blessings of the heavens and the earth, but they denied and falsified, thus We seized them due to their actions." 7/96.
There are innumerous ayaat and ahadith to this effect.
6. THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN
With regards to the verse:
* "And whatever calamity befalls you, it is due to your own doings." 42/30
Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) explained the tafsir of this ayat to Hazrat Ali (RA) thus:
* "0 Ali! whatever calamity befalls you; illness, afflication or any worldly calamity; it is the earning of your own hands."
* Hazrat Hasan (R) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: "By Him in whose control is my life! Any scratch, twitching of veins, slipping of the foot or a flying stone suddenly striking the body; all are due to the committing of sins".
* Hazrat Abu Musa (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: "A wound or any slighter calamity is due to the commission of sins."
* Hazrat Imraan bin Husain (RA) once felt ill. People came to pay him a visit and expressed their condolences. He replied: "What is achieved by condolences? This is due to some sin I have committed."
* Hazrat Dahhak (RA) reports that: "A person who forgets the Quran after learning it is due to committing sins." Thereafter he recited this verse and said: "What could be a greater calamity than forgetting the Quran?"
* Once Hazrat Asma binte Abu Bakr (RA) experienced a headache. She exclaimed: "This is due to my sins." - DurreManthoor, Ibne-Katheer.
7. OUR CONDITION
Let us now examine our lifestyles. Salat which has been described as the criterion between Imaan and Kufr (disbelief) how much does it feature in the life of the Muslims? How many are there who are punctual with their obligatory Salat?
How many adhere to the other basic requirements of Islam such as Fasting, Zakat and Hajj? On the otherhand, consider the prohibitions of Islam; those actions that Shariah has declared Haram and a source of Divine curses and harsh reprisals. How many Muslims are engrossed in these day and night? How many have adopted these as part of their lifestyle?
* Let us consider liquor for example. The Quran has repeatedly forbidden the intake of liquor.
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) has cursed anyone associated with liquor in anyway.
He has cursed the consumer, the stockist, the manufacturer, the marketer, the buyer, the seller, the transporter, the receiver and those that derived any income from it.
* In one hadith it has been titled as "The root to all evil."
9. INTEREST AND USURY
* The Quran has declared the prohibition of interest. The Cluran has equated the usage of interest tantamount to declaring war upon Allah and His Rasul [sallallaahu alaihi wasallam]
* The hadith has classified interest a conglomeration of 73 sins; the slightest of these being equal to fornicating with one's own mother (incest).
* One hadith warns that the consumer of interest will rise as a lunatic on the Day of Qiyamah.
* Another hadith warns that the part of the humanbody that was nourished by haram income, will not enter Jannah.
* One hadith states that the nation that has taken to fornication and interest should await the chastisement of Allah.
Let us now consider how clear our dealings and transactions are! Interest forms an integral part of our business dealings. Worse than that, desperate attempts are being made to even legalise it (Islamically).
10. VARIOUS MAJOR SINS
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said:
"When my ummah will be involved in fifteen activities, then calamities will descend upon them:
1. Public finances will be regarded as personal property
2. Amanat (Trust) will be abused
3. Zakat will be considered a tax (burden)
4. Wives will be obeyed
5. Mothers will be disobeyed
6. Friends will be well-treated
7. Parents will be ill-treated
8. Noise and commotion will be common in Musjids
9. Unqualified persons will occupy positions of responsibility
10. Respect will be shown to some people merely to escape their tyranny
11. Liquor will be consumed openly
12. Men will don silk garments
13. Singing girls will be available (for entertainment)
14. Musical instruments will be rampant
15. The Pious predecessors will be reviled and vituperated; The ummah should then await hurricanes, earthquakes and transformation of some people (into animals).
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas (RA) states:
* The nation that is involved in misappropriation of trust (embezzlement), Allah will fill their hearts with terror for their enemies. The nation that is engaged in fornication, will experience great numbers of death. The nation that cheats in measure, will have their sustenance curtailed. The nation that legislates against the truth and justice, will experience great bloodshed and the nation that breaks it's contracts, will be subdued by the enemy." - Mishkaat.
N.B. Which of these sins are not the daily life - style of most Muslims today? It is no cause of surprise if we are now afflicted by various calamities.
* Hazrat Abdullah bin Umar (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said: "O Muhajireen! Five things are such that if you are involved in them, may Allah not cause you to be involved in them, then the punishment of Allah will descend upon you. The nation that is openly involved in zina (fornication) will become afflicted by plague and other such diseases that were never heard of before.
Those that cheat in measuring, will be afflicted by poverty, hardship and oppression. Those that default in the paying of zakat, will be afflicted by drought. Had it not been for the animals, not a drop of rain would have fallen. Those that transgress the bounds of Allah and His Rasul, will be overcome by the enemy. As for those that legislate unjustly, they will be involved in internicine fighting.
* It is also reported in a hadith that fornication and adultery causes poverty.
* Many ahadith report curses upon the briber and the accepter of bribes and even upon the intermediary in such dealings.
* In one hadith, it is reported that the nation that breaks it's promises will be involved in internal strife and conflicts.
* In one hadith it is reported that those accustomed to dealings in bribery will become greatly awe-struck and fearful (of everyone).
13. FALSE OATHS
* It is reported in one hadith that the sin that is extremely swift in inviting the punishment of Allah is oppression and false oaths. This causes wealth to be destroyed and women to become barren (that such people have no off-spring) and annihilates entire populations (by high death rates).
14. DISOBEDIENCE TO PARENTS
* In one hadith it is reported that Allah withholds punishments until He desires, but disobedience to parents brings instant chastisement and the punishment is meted out before death even.
* In one hadith it is narrated: Remain chaste, your wives will also remain chaste and be obedient towards your parents, your children will be obedient to you.
15. ENJOINING RIGHT AND FORBIDDING EVIL
* It is reported in one hadith that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said:
By Him in whose control is my life! You should continue to enjoin the right and forbid the wrong, else Allah will descend such a punishment upon you, that you will make dua unto Him and He will not accept your duas."
* In one hadith it is reported that Allah does not punish a whole community on the sins of a small group of people, until these people transgress openly, before such people who have the power of preventing them and yet do not do so. The punishment of Allah then overtakes all. The duas of the pious will then be of no avail to anyone.
N.B. It is due to overlooking such regulations that day by day, we are observing greater calamities, disasters, destruction, violence, diseases, accidents involving planes, trains, ships and cars. Now that the regulations of Amr bil Ma'roof Nahi anil Munkar (Enjoining right and forbidding evil) have been almost totally discarded, there is no hope of even acceptance of our duaas.
16. OPPRESSION AND INJUSTICE
* It is reported in one hadith: Do not oppress else your duas will be rejected.
* In one hadith: Allah grants respite to the oppressor; but when He seizes him, he cannot escape punishment.
* In one narration: The dua of the oppressed is accepted even though he be a sinner or even a disbeliever.
* In one hadith: He that does not show mercy upon the creation, Allah will not show mercy upon him. Hazrat Sufyan Thauri (R) reports that:
Once the Banu Israeel were terribly afflicted by famine for seven years. They eventually began to consume the meat of dead animals and finally human corpses. Out of sheer desperation they climbed upon mountain tops and cried out in anguish. Allah Ta'ala revealed to one of their Nabis that had they to raise their hands right into the sky and had their tongues dried out, I will not accept their duas until they do not return the rights of the oppressed amongst them.
N.B. Let us now consider the present condition of oppression throughout the world and understand the extent of Allah's displeasure with us.
* It is reported in one hadith: Charity does not decrease wealth, forgiveness increase's ones respect and begging opens the door of poverty.
18. DISHONOURING THE ULAMA
* It is reported in one hadith: When my ummah will despise their Ulema, be extravagant in beautifying their businesses and will consider marriage proposals on the basis of wealth, then Allah will afflict them with four punishments: drought, oppression, misappropriation of their wealth by their leaders and enemy - attacks.
* Hazrat Ali (RA) reports that the worldly chastisement for committing sins is: Lethargy in worship, restriction in sustenance and decrease in pleasure.
* Hazrat Anas (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: Be meticulous in performing wuzu (with all it's ettiquettes), your lifespan will increase and your protecting angels will love you; observe your (nafl) prayers in your home, it will enhance the blessings of your home and make salaam to your family when you enter your home, the blessings of it will permeate you and your family.
* Where we constantly complain about "hard times" and poverty, have we ever pondered on what Allah Ta'ala has to say: O son of Adam! Free yourself for My ibadah, I will fill your heart with contentment and independence, and I will remove your poverty. If you do not do so, I will engross you in your occupations and (yet) I will not remove your poverty. * In one hadith it is narrated: If my servants obey me dutifully, I will send rain at night and sunshine during the day (that they be not frightened by the lightning and thunder).
22. OUR EXAMPLE
How cruel have we been upon ourselves that due to our sins we are constantly involving ourselves in disasters and calamities? At the same time, we continuously lament and wail away at our pathetic condition. Our example is like that of a person suffering from diahorrea and yet continues to take laxatives, complaining all the time of diahorrea. What could be said to such a fool?
23. OPPRESSIVE LEADERS
* In a similar way, today we complain about the oppression of our leaders, whereas these leaders have been appointed over us due to our transgressions. The only salvation from them is through taubah and perfect obedience to Allah's commands.
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: Just as you are (your actions are) so will your rulers be.
* In another hadith, it is reported:
I am Allah, there is no deity besides Me, I am the King of Kings and the Master of Kings, the heart of Kings are within My control; when My servants are obedient to me, I make their rulers kind-hearted towards them; when they disobey Me, I turn their rulers against them with anger and tyranny, they then oppress them severly. Therefore, instead of cursing them, turn towards me in remembrance and submission, I will protect you against their tyranny.
* In the Quran, Allah Ta'ala states:
"And thus We subjugate some oppressors to other (oppressors) due to their doings." 6/129. There are various views to this ayat;
* Hazrat A'amash's view is that when people's actions become corrupt, then Allah appoints the most oppressive people as leaders over them.
* In one hadith it is reported that: When Allah desires the felicity of a nation; He makes the tolerant amongst them their leaders, the Ulema their arbitrators and the generous their wealthy and on the other hand, when He desires the torment of a nation; He appoints their foolish as their leaders, the ignorant as arbitrators and the miserly as their wealthy.
* In one hadith it is reported: Do not engross yourselves in cursing and abusing your rulers; in fact you should gain the proximity of Allah (through obedience) and make dua on their behalf, Allah will turn their hearts towards you in mercy and kindness.
* A pious person once overheard someone cursing Hajjaaj (the notorious tyrant). He prevented him from this, saying: Whatever is happening is the result of your own actions. I fear that if Hajjaaj is deposed or expires, monkeys and swine be made rulers over you.
* It is a popular adage: "Your actions are your rulers." In other words, depending on your actions, will your rulers treat you.
* If the prince is rebellious, the king will appoint an ordinary citizen to whip him. The prince will be totally helpless to take any action against him, because he is backed by the king. His salvation is only in entreating the king for mercy and apologizing to him. Now, let alone an ordinary citizen, not even a high-ranking minister or official has the right to touch the prince. This is the example of the Muslim ummah. If we are disobedient to Allah, He appoints the weakest of nations upon us. They torture and oppress us most mercilessly. Our only salvation is by turning to Allah in sincere regret and repentance. Then no nation, not even the so called "superpowers" will have the courage to stare at us!
Time and again, we are crushed by disasters and calamities, our laments, complaints and wailing never ends, y t when our shortcomings are pointed out to us, we remain totally indifferent and heedless, Never have we even attempted to bring about any reform within ourselves. Never have we attempted to avoid those destructive sins and crimes that are the direct sources of our misery and suffering. It is most astonishing that when an ordinary doctor warns of some epidemic, we are hasty to innoculate ourselves; when an ordinary labourer warns about the presence of a poisonous snake in the vicinity, not even the bravest person will venture in that direction; yet when Allah and His Rasul are consistently guiding us towards our success and warning us against our destruction (with the greatest of concern and sincerity) we remain totally unmoved and heedless; and we plunge headlong into those very pitfalls of destruction.
* Our only road to success and glory is total obedience to Allah and His Rasul, and following step-by-step the path treaded by our pious predecessors.
24. JUNGLES CLEARED
* History proves that this is how the Muslim will attain victory and glory over the world. This is how the Muslims of yonder, despite being in the minority, conquered city after city, country after country, and ruled the world over centuries. Then not only did they rule over land and people; they even ruled over animals and the elements of nature.
* When the army of the Sahaba stood on the shore of Africa's formidable jungles, then the commander-in-chief, Hazrat Uqba (RA) made an announcement to the speechless inhabitants of the jungle: O denizens of the jungle! We are the Sahaba on our mission. We request you to clear this jungle. After this ultimatum if any of you are found herein, we will kill you! Hardly was this announcement completed, that streams of deadly animals, herding away their young ones, were seen exiting the jungle as swiftly as possibly.
25. LIONS TAMED
* A Sahabi, Hazrat Safinah (RA) once lost his way and strayed away into a jungle. Suddenly a lion appeared. He introduced himself to the lion and explained his plight to it. Waging it's tail like a subdued puppy, the lion led the way for him, growling away any would-be attackers, and finally led him to a clearing where an army of the Sahaba (RA) was encamped.
26. SEAS SUBJUGATED
* In the battle of Madain, the Sahaba needed to cross a stormy sea in order to reach the enemy shores. There were no ships available. Hazrat Sa'd (RA) instructed his army to plunge into the sea in pairs of two. The horses pranced across the water most calmly. Hazrat Sa'd (RA) was heard saying: Verily Allah will certainly assist His friends; Allah will certainly grant them victory over their enemies until they do not commit injustices or until their vices do not overpower their virtues.
* Similar is the incident of Hazrat Ala bin Hadhrami (RA), who crossed the sea with an army of four thousand soldiers. Such was their crossing, that not even did the hooves of the horses become wet.
* Yet a slight error from even the Sahaba (RA) led to difficulties and suffering. The battle of Uhud is a classical example. A winning battle almost resulted in defeat merely because a few Sahaba erred in carrying out the instructions of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) to the letter.
* In the battle of Hunain, a boastful remark by some soldiers resulted in severe setback for the Muslims. Through the graces of Allah, they were ultimately victorious.
* In the battle against the Murtads (renegades) of the Bani Hanifah; a chance remark by Hazrat Khalid (RA) almost turned the tables, and the Muslims had to put up with most formidable resistance.
* At times, discarding a sunnah resulted in the frustrating delay of victory. The Sahaba (RA) constantly feared any violation of the Shariah, realizing that this produced adverse effects on their victory and success. For this reason, the Khalifa always emphasised upon them the importance of the teachings of Shariah.
* Hazrat Umar (RA) thus advised Hazrat Utbah bin Ghazwan (RA) after appointing him commander of the army: Adhere strictly to taqwa (piety) and justice in all your decisions. Offer your salat punctually and engage excessively in remembrance (zikr) of Allah.
* Hazrat Umar (RA) handed a memorandum to his governors, emphasizing the importance of salat upon them: Salat is the most important regulation of Islam; if you can uphold it meticulously, the rest of Islam will be easy to practice. The person that is neglectful of it, will certainly neglect the rest of Deen.
* Even Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam), at the time of hardship and crisis, used to resort immediately to salaat.
* Hazrat Abu Darda (RA) reports that when a strong wind used to blow, Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) would enter the Masjid and resort to salat until the storm subsided.
* Many Sahaba (RA) report similar narrations of his hastening towards salat at times of calamity, fear or darkness.
* One Sahabi reports that this was the habit of all the previous Ambiya (AS) and the majority of the Sahaba (RA).
29. OPPRESSION - IT'S RESULTS.
History is replete with incidents of the destruction of the oppressor and the alleviation of the oppressed. Did Allah not disgrace Namrud at the hands of his populace and destroy him through an insignificant mosquito?
* Did He not protect His friend, Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) from the blazing inferno and convert it into a garden of bliss? Thus Allah assists the oppressed and destroys the oppressors.
* Did Allah not crush the proud and mighty Firaun and elevate the oppressed and down-trodden Bani Israel?
* Did Allah not preserve the Little boy that was so mercilessly hurled into a deserted well, sold for a few coins, who was falsely accused and imprisoned and finally elevate him to the throne of Egypt and honour him with the crown of Nubuwat? (Hazrat Yusuf (AS)
* Did Allah not humble and subjugate the proud and haughty Meccans that forced His beloved and his companions out of their birthplaces? Did He not bring the day of glorious victory at the conquest of Makkah when the arch-enemy were running helter-skelter out of terror, begging for. mercy and compassion?
* On the other, the ungrateful citizens of Iraq, constantly harrassed their just and compassionate rulers; as a result, Allah appointed Hajjaaj bin Yusuf over them, whose tyranny, cruelty and harshness knew no bounds.
30. LESSONS OF HISTORY
* History bears ample testimony to the fact that so long as the Muslims continued to uphold the Quran and ahadith in their daily lives, countries, nay empires crumbled at their feet. Small bands of devout Muslims were sufficient to terrorize and demolish mighty forces. Emperors of superpowers trembled at the mere thought of the Muslims.
* Yet these very victors of mighty empires, when they succumbed to comforts and luxuries, discarded the Quran and Hadith, resorted to oppression and cruelty of their subjugates, became power-drunk and arrogant and indulged openly in wine and women; fell from the glorious pinnacles of civilization and progress to the abyss of disgrace and stagnation.
31. TRAGEDY OF BAGHDAD
* Baghdad that had enjoyed the position of capital of the mighty Islamic empire for decades, makes a tragical lesson of history for the Muslims. The superficial Muslims of this grand city that was the home of great educational institutions (Darul Ulooms) and spiritual reformatories (khanqahs), and the seat of science, technology, research, arts and skills, resorted to oppression of the non-muslim population of their city. They were denied the basic human rights and benefits that Islam so magnanimously confers upon the non-muslim inhabitants of a Muslim state. When this injustice reached an unbearable stage, an old man from the non-Muslims, climbed a nearby mountain and in sheer helplessness, called out to the "God of the Muslims", whom the Muslims claimed was so Just and Compassionate, to assist the oppressed and down-trodden. A voice from the unseen called out to him:
"Prepare yourselves and attack! We will assist you." The non-muslims made a sudden and a most terrific onslaught upon the Muslims. So terrible was the result of the carnage that only 600 000 survived out of a total of 2 million. 1,4 million were massacred in no time. One non-muslim, single handedly slaughtered a contingent of 150 fully armed Muslim soldiers. A non-muslim woman killed 50 Muslim soldiers all on her own. This was in revenge for the years of oppression they were made to suffer. Allah turned the tables, and granted victory to the down trodden nation of the oppressed, for verily, He is Rabbul Aalemeen, The Lord of the Universe - not only of the Muslims. The non-muslims are also His creation and subjects.
* Thereafter, this marauding band of non-muslim victors, held a conference. All were unanimous that it was the "God of the Muslims" that answered their plea and call for assistence. They thus concluded that such a god was truly worthy of worship. The Muslims were disobedient to their god and never abided to the teachings of their religion, thus they were disgraced. Hence, Islam was a true religion. They unanimously decided to accept Islam and ruled over the Islamic empire for centuries (over 17 generations). It is the law of Allah: "If, you turn away, He will replace you with another nation. They will not be (disobedient) like you." 47/38.
32. THE BLOODY HISTORY OF INDIA
* The rise and fall of Muslim rule in India is a heart-rendering lesson of History for the Muslims. A mere force of 12000 men, conquered this mighty land. Year after year, Muslims progressed and thrived. Their rulers were, just, kind and pious. For centuries they held sway over this huge empire. Degeneration slowly set in and the Muslim rulers fell prey to comfort, luxury and pleasures. They ignored the affairs of state. Soon corruption and oppression became rife and in a short time, Muslim rule was sliding down the muddy path of degeneration and rushing headlong towards total disintegration. Hazrat Shah Waliullah (R) in his spiritual farsightedness and political insight, went door-to-door, throught the streets of the Muslims capital, Delhi and warned the people of imminent disaster. "O my People! Abstain from the disobedience of Allah. I have visions of rivers of blood flowing down the streets of Delhi." People laughed him off and swept aside his entreating, most disdainfully, as the raving and ranting of a mad "mullah"!
* Eventually, the dreaded disaster dawned. The enemy attacked and overnight, thousands were massacred. The streets of Delhi were a ghastly sight. Human corpses lined the streets and "rivers of blood flowed down the streets of Delhi." Other corpses were dumped into the Jamna River, (a massive river of India) that resulted in a blockage of the water flow (imagine the number of bodies to cause such an obstruction). The entire river water turned red with human blood. This is the tragic but true tale of the Muslims of India.
33. SLUMBER OF THE MUSLIM NATION
* With great regret and sorrow it has to be noted that despite all these upheavels, the Muslim nation continues to slumber away. Never have they taken lesson from their past and never have they formulated a directive and a goal for the future. Never have we pondered over the vissisitudes of life; the daily lessons of the change of tides in the affairs of the world. Despite being totally insignificant in the affairs of the world and in the eyes of the non-muslims, we continue to labour away in this false sense of pride that we once ruled the world. The Muslims continue to lead a sedentary existence of listlissness, heedlessness, indulgence in luxuries and pleasures, false pride and vainglory, sin, crime and transgression, oppression and exploitation, ignorance in trade, commerce, science and technology. On the other hand they are involved in mutual hatred, enmity, racism, discrimination, embroiled against each other in court cases and law-suits. Their ignorance of religion compels them to uphold meaningless customs and rituals and competing against each other in these, they spend lavish and large sums of money, involving themselves at times in massive debts accompanied by hefty percentages of interest. Ultimately they have to sell hearth and home to alleviate these crushing financial disasters and land up as penniless paupers on the side of streets. Due to lethargy and indolence they are not prepared to undertake labour or any menial occupations and finally end up as the scum and scavengers of society - abject beggars at the doors of all and sundry. What a dismal picture! When will we awake?
34. THE CURE
* This is merely a framework and a totally elementary programme for general upliftment and reform of the Muslim ummah.
1. Every Muslim, male and female, must immediately resolve to at least fulfill the basic requirements of Islam, salat in particular.
2. A massive educational programme to be specially launched on an organized basis with emphasis on religious education and education of adults.
3. Basing our social life on the sunnah and our economical activities solely on the laws of Shariah.
4. Total abstention from mutual conflicts and in fighting.
5. In case of contention, to amicably solve any problems through proper arbitration.
6. Encouragement of business, trade and skills.
7. Dissociation from all customs and rituals at the time of birth, marriages, funerals and other occasions.
8. Particular emphasis on cleanliness, tidiness, health education and physical fitness.
May Allah grant all Muslims the good of both the worlds. Aameen.
by Mufti Z.Bayat
The sudden demise of Hazrat Hajee Padia Sahib (rahmatullahi-alayi) came as a great shock to one and all. His demise is not only the loss of the Padia family, but indeed the loss of the Ummah at large. Today one and all feel like orphans (yatama) upon his death. Hazrat Hajee Sahib presence was a rahmah and blessing to the Ummah. His consistent duas for the well-being of the Ummah is today remembered by all. His mubarak advices on various occasions still ring in my ears. One of his regular advices
was: "Awwal maut, Aakhir maut, bar-Haqq maut, kullu-nafsin-za'iqatul-maut". With great sadness today, these words are remembered.
Indeed the loss of a beloved one is a great shock for near and dear ones. The pain and grief that is felt in the heart at such times cannot be described in words. It feels as though part of your own being has been taken away. May Allah Ta'ala grant his family a lofty state of Sabre-Jameel - patience, fortitude and inner strength and courage to bear the loss of their beloved deceased.
The people of Imaan are indeed fortunate that even in the midst of a great tragedy, they have Allah Ta'ala to take support from. They have the powerful words of the Holy Qur'an: "Inna-lillahi..." to derive strength and courage from. They have the
great Basharaat and glad-tidings of the Qur'an and Hadith. They have the beautiful example of our beloved Nabi (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) to emulate. They have the ways of the Sahabah and the Awliya and Saliheen to guide them. Then finally, they have the Duas, the moral support and the sympathies and condolences of their fellow Believers - Mu'mineen to give them solace. These all serve as a soothing balm for an aching heart.
May Allah Ta'ala in His infinite mercy grant our marhoom Hajee Sahib and all of us the lofty stages of Jannatul-Firdaus. He will Insha-Allah be far away from the mess and complication of this dunya and will be in a much better and noble place, in the
company of the Malai'kah and the pious. This should give us great comfort. Through the blessing of Imaan we will one day join them in the gardens of Jannah forever, never to be separated ever again, Insha-Allah. What a great favour of Allah Ta'ala
upon His believing servants.
It is not against the Sunnah to grieve within the limits of Shari'ah. In fact, it is good for one's health and quick recovery. It is even proper and correct to shed tears of sadness as this will allow all pent up feelings to subside. This natural feeling and emotion of grief must not be suppressed but allowed to take its natural course. So long as bad statements, crying loudly, screaming, tearing garments and hair, etc. do not take place, nor are any bid'ah acts performed before, during and after the funeral, you will Insha-Allah gain the full ajar and rewards of your Sabr. Allah Ta'ala has kept a great reward in store for such people. Dua-Maghfirat, Isale-Thawaab and visits to the Qabrastan (for males) are all acts which will not only benefit the Marhooms but
will also be a source of benefit for those who carry out these noble practices.
What is required on this occasion is to recognise the ways of life that would have made Hazrat Hajee Saheb happy if he were alive today. The same things will insha-Allah make his rooh- mubarak happy and his duas for those who will live up to his advices will continue in Aalame- Barzakh, Insha-Allah. Hazrat Hajee Saheb
made his life waqaf for this great mission of Da'wat and Tabligh. For this, he gave great sacrifices that astound those that know or hear about it. His near and dear ones must continue this great work as isale-sawaab for his ruh-mubarak.
Hazrat Hajee Saheb also emphasised greatly on the following matters and also showed us practically by his own example:
1. Simplicity in our whole way of life, especially weddings etc. He greatly disliked israaf of any sort
2. Love and ikraam of the Ulama
3. The importance of making an effort on the home
environment. He always used to say: "Ghar ghar ko madrasah bana'o; zikr ka khanqah bana'o aur da'wat wale kam ka markaz bana'o" - "Make every home a Madrasah of Islamic knowledge, a Khanqah of Zikr and a Markaz of
Tabligh and Da'wat"
May Allah grant us all to practice on his beautiful advices.
There are too numerous details about is life to cover in such a
short article. Insh'Allah, it is hoped that some day, a worthy
scholar will write on his life as it should serve as a source of
inspiration for many.
INTRODUCTION TO FATWA
With atrocities and injustices escalating all over the world, the suffering masses and those that wish to show support and solidarity with them are turning to mass-scale demonstrations and protests to give expression to their frustrations and feelings.
HOMOSEXUALITY – THE CURSED ACT:
by Mufti Zubair Bayat
Hazrat Thanwi R writes:
"Any relationship with a strange (ghair-mahram) woman or a handsome beardless youth (amrad); whether such a relationship entails looking at them, conversing with them to please the nafs (the carnal self), associating with them in privacy, adorning the self or voice to please them and to gain their admiration; all these are the result of a colossal and destructive spiritual malady with such tragic consequences, that are beyond description.
SODOMY & THE NATION OF LOOT
"And Lut! When he said unto his folk: Will you commit an obscenity that none has ever committed before you? You fulfil your lust on men instead of women? Indeed, you are a wanton nation" - 7/80-81
In these verses, Allah emphatically denounces the unnatural, perverted manner of sexual gratification that was practiced by the nation of Loot (and become known thereafter as sodomy.)
At another juncture in the Quraan Majeed, Allah has described the punishment inflicted upon this sick nation. Hazrat Jibra'eel lifted their entire city into the sky, inverted them and brought them crashing down onto earth with a terrific bang. Thereafter, boulders and rocks rained down upon them from the sky. These stones were of a different composition altogether, and each had the name of the culprit to be pelted by it inscribed upon it. Hazrat Maulana Phoolpuri most aptly comments on this incident:
"The actions of this nation were perverted and unnatural, thus the punishment meted out to them was a befitting one; THEY WERE INVERTED!"
Despite the sincerest of warnings from Hazrat Lut, they remained persistent in their foul deeds and doings; thus 40 000 of them were annihilated in a single moment.
Allah made them a lesson unto mankind right up to the Day of Judgment, that even today, traces of their destruction are present in the Dead Sea (also known as the "Sea of Lot"), the water of which is so dense and bitter, it will not permit any tree or vegetation to grow upon it's shores.
HOMOSEXUALITY & SODOMY
Hazrat Jabir reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) said:
"The action I fear most for my Ummah is the action of the nation of Lut (i.e. Sodomy)." - Mishkaat p. 313.
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas and Hazrat Abu Hurairah [Radiyallahu-Anhum] report from Rasulullah [Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam]:
"Accursed is he who commits the act of the nation of Loot [Alayhimus-Salaam]." - Mishkaat p.313.
PUNISHMENT FOR SODOMY
Hazrat Abubakr destroyed two homosexuals by having a wall crushed upon them.
Rasulullah [Sallallahu-Alayhi-Wasallam] said: "Allah will not cast a glance of Mercy towards the person that commits the act of sodomy or anal sex with his wife." - Mishkaat p. 313.
HOMOSEXUALITY WITH HANDSOME LADS
Some words of wisdom regarding handsome lads:
Hazrat Abu Huraira reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: Do not stare at beardless youth.
Hazrat Anas reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: Beware of beardless youth for they are a greater source of mischief than young maidens.
Hazrat Umar used to say: I do not fear the danger of a wild animal let loose upon an aalim, as much as I fear the danger of a beardless, handsome lad upon him.
Hazrat Sufyan Thauri says: If every woman has one shaitaan accompanying her, then a handsome lad has two.
Imam Ghazzali writes: Turning a hungry lion upon an aabid (worshipper) is not as detrimental to him as a handsome lad left before him.
Adoption and Fostering of children
from an Islamic perspective
The Holy Messenger Muhammad (may peace be upon him), the prophet of Islam, himself was an orphan at birth. He was adopted as an orphan and placed in the foster care of his wet-nurse Halimah who nurtured him with tender care and love, more than she displayed towards her own children. In light of this historical fact, Muslims are no strangers to the concept of adoption and foster care. In fact, they have before them lofty examples of these practices right from the life of the holy Messenger himself.
Having been brought up as an orphan himself, placed the Holy Messenger in a position where he was able to naturally and instinctively identify with the plight of orphan children more than others. His teachings are therefore replete with teachings and directives towards the orphan, of treating them with utmost kindness and compassion. The list of such teachings is lengthy and enumerating them in this brief article would be inappropriate. It is sufficient to quote but one saying of his: 'The home wherein the orphan is ill-treated is the worst home on earth.'
In the time of the Holy Messenger, there was hardly a home which had not taken in and adopted an orphan child. This was a normal practice in the society of his companions.
Muslims should, by virtue of the lofty example and teachings of the Holy Messenger, be in the very frontline in efforts to secure the adoption and fostering of 'abandoned' children. In fact they aught to be setting the trend for the rest of society in this matter. At the least, it is expected of them to co-operate closely with groups and bodies that are promoting these efforts.
Due to the high standards of morality and conduct required of Muslims by their religious laws, Muslim homes and families are ideally positioned to imbue and impart these exalted values to adopted children – values that will be of life long consequence to them.
A word of caution to prospective adoption families though; the humanitarian and noble practice of adopting children should never be motivated by material or pecuniary interests or intentions at all. This will destroy and demolish the very spirit of this gracious deed, leaving it as a lifeless corpse.
I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Mr.H.Bham on his launching of the periodical "Faiz" on issues relating to adoption and fostering of children. It gives me pleasure to write an article upon his request on this subject from the Islamic perspective for this 'maiden' issue of this brand new magazine. May this publication continue to enlighten the community for many years ahead.
Mufti Zubair Bayat
A Shameless Practice
DIVULGING BEDROOM SECRETS
A shameless and disgraceful trend observed nowadays among some of our Muslim brothers and even Muslim sisters, is the practice of discussing intimate bedroom and sexual secrets with friends and acquaintances. Some times, these discussions take place in the presence of even relative strangers without a care in the world. Such is the handiwork of shaytaan that at times, ostensibly learned, pious and somewhat respectable people tend to do this.
This type of dirty conversation takes place when people are idle and engaged in futile pursuits. Having nothing better to do, they engage in dirty talk, giving a reflection of what lurks inside of them. These talks normally take place at clubhouses, during fishing and camping trips, card-playing sessions, billiard and pool games, golfing sessions, on journeys, etc. People relate with relish the finer details of their private doings, sometimes in a very boastful manner, before others. Some times, a person describes the delicate parts of his wife's anatomy before others in such a crude and revealing manner, he figuratively 'strips' her before others. In this way they are actually able to 'see' his wife with the mind's eye.
These dirty ways are the net outcome of the accumulated filth of the west's shameless culture that has found its way in the life and homes of Muslims. The heavy deluge of pornographic material in the form of blue movies, steamy videos, raunchy magazines and novels, and now, internet-based pornography in the life of Muslims has contributed towards these shameless practices. May Allah cleanse all Muslims of this spiritual rot and moral muck.
This type of immodest practice has no place in Islam. There is no room for such dirty ways in a religion that preaches modesty and purity in every facet of life. Imaan is the very epitome of haya (modesty). "lmaan is modesty through and through" - Hadith. When modesty departs from the life of a person, it is feared that Imaan will follow shortly, Allah forbid! Muslims need to protect and promote the culture of modesty at all times in order to safeguard their Imaan. Such unsavoury practices are the very anti-thesis of modesty and shame.
There can be a terrible outcome to this. People listening to this graphic description become attracted towards the woman being described, sometimes with a bit of exaggeration. They may not be experiencing the same sexual gratification in their own lives, so greed and lust gets the better of them. A pass is made at the woman, which is some times successful (sic). One thing leads to another and finally the marriage is ruined, resulting in endless misery, heartache, disgrace and sin for all involved. Allah protect!
The following Hadith ought to act as a strong warning and a deterrent to those guilty of this. Hazrat Abu Saeed (radiyallahu-anhu) reports that Nabi (sallallahu-alayhi-wasallam) said: "The worst person in the eyes of Allah on the Day of Qiyamah is that couple who have an intimate relation with each other and the man then reveals the (bedroom) secrets to others" -Muslim Shareef