Q. I will experience my menstrual cycle during the last ten days of Ramadaan. I feel utterly disappointed to be in this state during these great nights as I will be will be unable to perform Nafl Salaah and recite Qur’an Shareef. These opportunities come just once a year and to miss out is disappointing. Please advise on how I could compensate for this ?
A. Allah Ta’ala has created everything with great wisdom and purpose. There is no work of Allah that is devoid of wisdom. This condition that women experience on a monthly basis is purely ghayr ikhtiyari (a condition not in one’s control) and hence Allah best knows the reason, wisdom and reward for it. Shaytaan uses this as an excuse to create despondency in a believer’s heart. Do not be affected.
A human being is only responsible for actions that are within one’s control. So do not regard this condition as a loss or burden but exercise tolerance during this period for which there is definitely reward and spiritual progress. The attainment of spiritual progress through ghayr ikhtiyari conditions is far superior than progress attained through ikhtiyari acts (acts within one's control). Upon your striving and intention you will reap the same reward as if you had performed those acts of ibadah.
There are many other acts of virtue that you are able to do in these great nights. During this period remain focused on the observances that you are permitted to do. As a guide you may occupy yourself with the following :
1. Perform wudhu and seclude yourself in your place of prayer during each salaah time with the intention of I’tikaaf engaging in some form of Zikr, reflection or dua.
2. Recite Durood and salaam on Nabi (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) abundantly.
3. Recite the Sunnah duas from Al Hizbul A’zam or Munajat Maqbool.
4. Abstain from any form of sin and vice.
5. Repent abundantly to Allah for sins and recite excessive istighfaar.
6. Listen to lectures and advices of pious Ulama with the intention of reformation and practice.
7. On the odd nights recite excessively “Allahumma innaka afuwwun tuhibbul afwa fa’fuannee”.
May Allah grant one and all His proximity and acceptance.
For Darul Ihsan – Social Dept.